Sunday, July 12, 2009

Week1 post7 reaction to Socratic Universe

"Do You Think Artificial Intelligence Will Equal or Surpass Human Intelligence?"

It's interesting how the philosopher's answers are so distinct from one another, and I like how they answer so honestly regardless of how wise or intelligent they are and even if they have no expertise on a certain subject. This is definitely another tricky question and the answers are determined by how the individual defines intelligence.

If I was asked this question, my answer would be yes. I do believe that one day, an artificially intelligent super computer will be built and will be able to surpass human intelligence in terms of knowledge and mathematical calculations. My answer is based on my initial definition of intelligence, which to me depends on the capacity of knowledge. However, if I were to interpret intelligence in terms of creativity and emotion then no. Although it might be able to be programmed into an A.I., I believe a machine will never fully understand or obtain the one valuable thing that we humans have and that is human emotion.

No comments: